POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Alain
Date: 23 Oct 2007 16:57:26
Message: <471e6036$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/23 13:19:

> I guess it just comes down to how frustrating it is that my PC takes 30
> seconds to load or close any given application. I mean, 20 *years* ago
> computers could do that instanteneously with a fraction of the RAM and
> CPU power. Why are we not coding like that any more??
20 years ago, a striped down version of a document you use today may not fit on
your HD, if you where lucky enough to have one, or would need several floppies.
20 years ago, applications where still in the "stone age", with only a small
fraction of the functionality you have today, making them much smaller. 20 years
ago, there was no "what you see is what you get"! It was white text on black
with formating codes breaking your text. You had to actualy print your document
to realy know how it will print.
At that time, there was already some programms that needed almost a minute to
get up and running...
When you only have less than 64K to play with, you often had to do some
acrobatics to cram the programm AND it's data on your machine.

--
Alain

You know you've been raytracing too long when you've converted POV-Ray into an
operating system; now you've got all the system resources to do your renderings.
Vimal N. Lad / Gautam N. Lad